The ICP-PFM – Agile Portfolio Management is one of two Continuing Learning Certifications (CLCs) on the Value Management Track. The certification focuses on value-driven software delivery, the accompanying mindset, and key agile practices designed to emphasize customer value. It also looks at creating organizational and team environments conducive to frequent and transparent collaboration between the business and development teams.
The learning objectives highlight specific techniques and practices such as lightweight requirements, prioritization methods, progressive elaboration, product/project roadmapping, story mapping, effective user stories, and acceptance criteria. Participants who complete this certification will gain an excellent foundation in value-based agile solutions delivery.
Typically, training providers will cover the required learning objectives in approximately 14 hours of instructional activities over the course of two days.
Stewards of Business Value
Relevant roles that show interest in Agile Portfolio Management include Business Analysts, Product Owners, Product Managers, Business Subject Matter Experts, or anyone aspiring to these roles. Also, anyone with a curiosity about agile approaches to value-driven software delivery will benefit from this certification.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the roles and responsibilities involved in portfolio management
- Understand a variety of techniques for identifying value in an initiative
- Understand ways to identify metrics that matter to help make effective investment decisions
- Understand how to align outcomes from an initiative with organisational strategy, and how strategy needs to be adaptive
- Understand how to visualise and present a portfolio using portfolio Kanban
- Understand ways of measuring progress and value delivered in an initiative
- Understand when and how to adapt the flow of work, knowing when to invest more, when to pause and when to stop
- Understand the impact that portfolio decisions have and how they are propagated to the delivery teams.
- Those working at the strategic level in an organisation who need to make decisions about selecting and funding initiatives, i.e. built in-house, outsourced, purchased as a package or contracted as a service.
- Those filling the Portfolio Manager, Program Manager, Project Manager, Product Manager, Product Owner, Product Champion or Agile Customer role.
- Those working as Change Agents in the organization that want to gain an understanding of Agile execution on the Portfolio level.
Assessing the Acquisition of Knowledge
ICAgile requires instructors to assess their students in class prior to granting certification. ICAgile’s course accreditation process ensures that the training provider’s assessment method is valid and commensurate with intended learning outcomes. Assessments are not limited to written exams; rather, instructors can use a variety of means to assess knowledge acquisition. ICAgile highly encourages instructors to include their assessment process both in course descriptions, and during a discussion with the students on the first day of class. Students need to know that demonstration of learning, not simply attendance, is necessary for certification, and that it is ultimately the instructor’s decision to grant the certification. ICAgile requires instructors to explain their reasoning when denying a certification, and to let students know what they will need to do or change to obtain the credential.
- Agile refresher
- Portfolios, programs and initiatives
- The Value Management Team
- Team and organisation structures
- Understanding strategy
- Aspects of value
- Governance with a light touch
- Recognising the cost of delay
- Funding models
- Budgets and forecasts
- The lean canvas
- Portfolio Kanban
- Metrics that matter
- Allowing space for innovation
- Lean Start-up, MVPs and pivoting
- Assessing value delivered
- Making trade-offs
- The impact of change
- Start, pause, stop feedback loops
- Kaizen at all levels
Quick Facts about the ICP-PFM
Name:ICAgile Certified Professional in Agile Portfolio Management
Certification Abbreviation: ICP-PFM
Certification Level: Professional
Learning Track: Agile Value Management
Renewal and Annual Fees: The ICP-PFM does not expire and no renewal fee or annual fee is required.
R11 600 per person, excluding 15% VAT.
Group discounts for 3+ delegates apply.
Date, Time & Location